ZUHAIR (KASH) KASHMERI, Producer, concept, writer and narrator. Click for bio.
HOWARD BERNSTEIN, CO-EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, STORY EDITOR, CO-WRITER
At the CTV Television Network, Bernstein produced Canada AM and was Head of News Specials. In that capacity, he produced documentaries and news stories from Beirut during the civil war, from Tokyo (1979 G7 Summit), Hong Kong (Vietnamese Boat People), Israel (30th Anniversary), London (the Royal Wedding of Prince Charles), Belfast (The death of Bobby Sands), Washington (The Camp David Accords and the Iranian Hostage Crisis).
At CBC-TV, he was Senior Editor of The Journal, Executive Producer of News and Current Affairs at CBC-Toronto, Executive Producer of Sunday Morning and station manager of CBLT, the network’s flagship station in Toronto. He was also News Director at Global Television and Executive Producer of Current Affairs at TV Ontario. At TV Ontario, he produced two international documentaries, one on the war in Bosnia and, from Poland, a look at a family’s return to Aushwitz. He has produced series and documentaries for CBC, Newsworld, the NFB, Discovery Channel and Life Network.
Bernstein was executive producer of the most successful documentary in Canadian television history. Runaways: 24 Hours on the Street was watched by 4.1 million Canadians in a single showing and won 14 Canadian and International awards for television production and journalism. This documentary helped create 48 Hours at CBS and two drama series in Canada.
From 1996-98, Bernstein produced a series of cinéma-vérité news documentaries for CPAC, including election coverage in Canada and a unique series on Hong Kong’s first election under Communist rule. At CPAC, he helped create a new way of covering events and trained the CPAC producers and camera operators in the art of vérité shooting.
After recently concluding 10 years of teaching broadcast journalism at Ryerson Polytechnic University, which is recognized as Canada’s leading school of journalism, Bernstein ran his own production company, Infinite Monkeys Productions, Inc. Infinite Monkeys Productions has produced two documentary series in association with MicroTainment Plus International: the Gemini-nominated Downtown Angel of Medicine for Discovery Channel, for which he was Executive Producer, Producer and Director; and Zoo Diaries for Life Network, for which he is Producer and Director. He was executive producer of The Elizabeth Manley Story, for CBC. He also executive produced Glenn Gould: The Russian Journey which premiered on CBC in fall 2002.
Along with partner Mark Shekter he helped develop an on-air strategy for the Discovery Health Channel, including their daily magazine show which won the network’s first and only Gemini Award.
As a partner in DocuTainment Productions Ltd. was executive producer for Say Yes…&Marry Me for Life Channel, for Test of Faith on Vision, and for the fifth successful season of Zoo Diaries. Bernstein was also an executive producer of Rebirth of an Opera: Persee in the Court of Atelier, which aired on the CBC in the fall of 2004, and of The Last Voyage of the Empress, which aired on CBC in the fall of 2005. Currently Bernstein is executive producing Project Passion, a relationship show for the US network WE (Women’s Entertainment). He also recently produced Ice Storm: The Salé and Pelletier Affair for CTV, which documents the untold story of the skating scandal at the Salt Lake Olympics, making DocuTainment one of the fastest growing producers of factual television in Canada.
Having left DocuTainment Productions several years ago, he has been consulting on documentaries and journalism with some of the top producers and directors in Canada.
LANI SELICK, DIRECTOR
Diversely talented writer, documentary maker and television producer with over 20
1983-March 2010: Documentary Producer, CBC Television “The National/Magazine”
– Worked for CBC’s flagship news/current affairs program producing documentaries of varying length on a wide range of subjects: this work includes generating story ideas, developing treatments, directing camera shoots, editing and scriptwriting.
1980-1983: Associate Producer, CBC Television “Quarterly Report”
– Helped refine story development and provided editorial assistance as needed for this program’s 2-hour network specials.
1979-1983: Researcher, CBC Television “Ombudsman”
1976-1979: Researcher, Global Television “The Number to Call”
TONY WANNAMAKER, DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY / CINEMATOGRAPHER
Please Click Here to view Tony’s Website and Bio
RAJIL SAYANI, MUMBAI CO-ORDINATOR
We were LUCKY indeed to find Rajil Sayani, who became an invaluable member of The Golden Pen team even before we landed in Mumbai. With his immense background
that include stints in the U.S. and his experience and contacts in Mumbai, his eye for detail and his thorough approach. Truly indeed we could not have accomplished everything we did without Rajil. Here is his impressive bio:
A. PROFESSIONAL TV EXPERIENCE:
1. CO-PRODUCER and then PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR – ‘News Six’ – weekly children’s series for WBGU-TV (USA) containing features presented in magazine format with studio introductions. Duties included field production & direction, and editing.
2. ASSOCIATE PRODUCER/ DIRECTOR – ‘Cibaca Geet Mala’ – 31 weekly episodes telecast on DD Metro, featuring a nostalgic retrospect of the legendary radio hit parade. Format: Beta.
3. PRODUCER – ‘News Six, The Story Continues: 1972-1992…’ – Sixty-minute retrospective for WBGU-TV (USA) on the twenty-year history of children’s show entitled ‘News six’.
4. ASSOCIATE PRODUCER: ‘Art Beat’ – Live studio-based thirty-minute weekly arts magazine for WBGU-TV (USA). Format: One Inch and High Band.
5. PROGRAMMING ASSISTANT – at WBGU-TV. Duties included scheduling programmes, data Entry & log preparation.
6. PRODUCTION/DIRECTION ASSISTANT – for two serials of fourteen episodes each, nationally telecast on Doordarshan: ‘Khari Khari’ (directed by Rajendra Bhatia) and ‘Hum Hindustani’ (directed by Hrishikesh Mukherji.).
7. ASSISTANT – in LIN-TV (of Lintas India Ltd.): Market Research of TV shows for the advertising agency’s clients; liaison with clients and programme producers.
B. PROFESSIONAL VIDEO/FILM EXPERIENCE:
1. PRODUCER/DIRECTOR/SCRIPT – ‘The Choice Is Yours’ – independent sixty-minute documentary on recycling, for national video distribution in USA. Format: High Band.
2. PRODUCER/DIRECTOR/CAMERA – ‘Reaching out to Children of Alcoholics – A Training Package’ – Documentary for Tata Institute of Social Sciences.
3. PRODUCER/DIRECTOR – ‘Implementation of the Cradle to Grave Concept of Waste Management’ – training video on Hospital Waste Management for Tata Memorial Hospital.
4. PRODUCER/DIRECTOR/SCRIPT – Two ad films for cable TV – for ‘Goragandhi Sports and Toys’. Format: Umatic High Band.
5. DIRECTOR/EDITOR – Microland’s ‘Enterprise Tomorrow.Today’ – Twenty-minute video review of Bill Gate’s presentation in Bombay in March ’97 for the Internet, and a one-hour version for mass duplication.
6. PRODUCTION ASSISTANT – for British feature film ‘Sixth Happiness’ (under India’s Line Producer Shama Habibullah) funded by the BBC and the British Film Institute, U.K.
C. PROFESSIONAL AUDIO-VISUAL EXPERIENCE: (Producer / Director)
1 “Twelve Musical Memories”. Shown in New York (USA) and Ottawa (Canada),
2 “Forty Years of Romantic Partnerships”. Shown at the US Consulate lawns in Mumbai.
3 “Rafi Kay Naam Bade Badon Ka Salaam”. Shown in Muscat (Oman), Auckland (New Zealand),
Master’s Degree in Mass Communication from Bowling Green State University, Ohio, USA.
Bachelor’s Degree in English Literature and Psychology from St. Xavier’s College, Bombay.
‘The Advertising Club, Bombay’ – Life Member.
‘Indo-American Society’ – member
‘Indian Documentary Producers’ Association’ – Executive Committee member.